This is a summary based on my understanding of the novel. Please also note that this summary contains spoilers. You may want to read the entire book first before proceeding - click this link to purchase via amazon.
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling – Novel Summary
The Dursleys are expecting visitors and they want Harry to keep quiet but then Dobby (the elf / servant from the Malfoys) came and warned him never to go back to Hogwarts. They made noise and Dobby sort of messed everything and the Dursleys locked up Harry.
- Fred, George and Ron Weasley rescued Harry because they got worried when he hasn’t been answering mails. Dobby hid the mails so Harry would no longer want to go back to Hogwarts.
- Harry stayed at the Weasleys and shopped school supplies with them.
- When it was time for school, they couldn’t get past platform 9 3/4 so they used the flying car, the one used when Harry was rescued. They couldn’t pass because Dobby blocked it.
- They were nearly expelled by using the car. Mr. Weasley was fined a huge amount.
- During Quidditch, the Slytherins all have the latest brooms bought by Lucius Malfoy but they still lost because Harry found the snitch.
- During Gryffindor vs Hufflepuff, the game was cancelled because there has been another attack, another student that was petrified.
- Hagrid was sent to prison (Azkaban) and then later on Dumbledore was suspended.
- Harry knew that it was Hagrid who opened the Chamber of Secrets because of Tom Riddle’s diary which he found at moaning Myrtle’s bathroom cubicle.
- Harry, Ron and Hermione made potions to turn themselves as Crabbe and Goyle (Draco’s friends) so they would know everything about the Chamber of Secrets. It turns out that Draco knows nothing.
- When Hermione was petrified, they decided to seek the Chamber of Secrets because they saw a clue on Hermione’s hand, she’s done her research. While on their way they discovered that another was taken – it was Ginny Weasley and another was written – “Her skeleton will remain.. the first one was “the chamber of secrets is open”
- They went to the Chamber of Secrets (Ron and Harry, together with Professor Lockheart, Quirrell’s replacement as Defense and Arts teacher.) They got in because Harry can speak Parseltongue. The chamber is found at moaning Myrtle’s cubicle , because she died when she looked at the eye of the Basilisk (the snake). Inside, Professor Lockheart tried to charm them so he could take credit for the adventure but the wand backfired and Lockheart lost his memory. Ron stayed behind, Harry went inside and saw Tom Riddle, the owner of the diary.
- It turns out that Tom Marvolo Riddle means ‘I am Lord Voldemort‘
- Lucius Malfoy slipped the diary in Ginny’s book and she started writing to it. She confided everything, the attacks, etc. When she suspected the diary, she threw it at Myrtle’s bathroom, Harry picked it up and asked questions (where he discovered about Hagrid’s pet, Aragog), but later on the diary was taken by Ginny once again (she raided his bags) because she was afraid he might discover what she has been writing. Tom Riddle once again controlled Ginny to write “Her Skeleton..” and she went down to the chamber..
- Tom Riddle / Voldemort and Harry fought. Harry won because he showed loyalty to Dumbledore by speaking nicely about him and Dumbledore’s phoenix (Fawkes) appeared, together with the sorting hat. Harry was able to pull a Gryffindor sword from the sorting hat. Harry destroyed the Diary. They went out from the Chamber by the help of Fawkes.
- Dumbledore was glad of what they did. He rewarded 400 points for Gryffindor.
- Professor Lockheart was sent to the infirmary.
- Dobby was freed by Harry (by giving him socks).
The End of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling.