This is a summary based on my understanding of the novel. Please also note that this summary contains spoilers. You may want to read the entire book first before proceeding - click this link to purchase via amazon.
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by JK Rowling – Novel Summary
When James and Lily Potter were killed by Voldemort, Harry Potter was saved and was left with a lightning mark on his forehead. He was sent to his Aunt Petunia, Uncle Vernon and cousin Dudley – the Dursleys. (Petunia is Lily’s sister)
On his 11th birthday he received a letter that he should be in Hogwarts. Hagrid took him to shop for his requirements. On September, he went to the train station, to platform nine and three quarters – which Harry was not able to find. Good thing the Weasleys came and helped him get thru the wall to get to platform nine and three quarters. On the train, he was seated next to Ron. When they reached Hogwarts, his house was Gryffindor, together with Ron Weasley. The other houses are Slytherin, Gryffindor, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff.
Relevant scenes in this book:
- Harry was chosen as the seeker when Professor McGonagall saw him catch Neville’s Remembrall, which was tossed by Draco Malfoy in the air. He was the youngest to play Quidditch and the fastest to catch the snitch.
- When a troll came to Hogwarts, Ron and Harry fought it to save Hermione. The three of them became friends after that.
- When Hagrid got himself a dragon, he grew it until it became dangerous. Ron decided to contact his brother before Hagrid’s dragon burns the house. They got caught when they gave away the dragon and was deducted 150 points from Gryffindor – everybody hated Harry then.
- When he was on detention, he was sent to the woods to look for the dead unicorn (together with Neville, Hermione, Draco and Hagrid). That was when he saw Voldemort drinking the unicorn’s blood. He was saved by a Centaur. His scar kept on hurting after that.
- He realized that the man whom Hagrid bargained the dragon for could be a spy or someone trying to get past the dog with 3 heads (Fluffy). It was true, Hagrid told the man in a cloak (who gave him the dragon egg) that Fluffy would be calm juts by making it listen to music. Harry knew he had to get past Fluffy and get the Sorcerer’s Stone before anyone else does. The Sorcerer’s stone is to be used by Voldemort for immortality.
- Together with Hermione and Ron, they went to the chamber. They went past the Devil’s snare (a set of plants) , played chess where Ron got slightly hurt, drank potions until Harry came face to face with Professor Quirrell. Harry was stunned because he expected to see Snape. At the back of Professor Quirrell’s face is Voldemort. Harry looked at the mirror of Esired and saw that the Sorcerer’s stone is in his pocket. Professor Quirrell and Harry fought, until Professor Dumbledore arrived.
- The sorcerer’s stone was destroyed.
- Gryffindor won because Hermione got 50 points for the potion. Rob got 50 points for playing chess well. Harry got 60 points for his courage. They also gave 10 points for Neville.
It was Professor Quirrell who put a spell on Harry during the Quidditch and not Snape. Snape hates James Potter for saving his life, he doesn’t want to be in debt but he won’t go as far as hurting Harry. In fact, he was trying to save him during Quidditch.
The End of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by JK Rowling.
Click here to get a copy of the book.